Click here to apply for this degree!
The major in English is designed to open many avenues of Christian service as well as to provide foundational courses for a graduate degree in English.
English Course Requirements | 120 Total Hours
General Education Foundation (33 hours)
Specialization required within General Education Foundation:
- HUM 103 The Humanities: Ancient to Medieval AND
HUM 104. The Humanities: Renaissance toTwentieth Century OR
3 hours of Humanities AND
ENG 221 Survey of World Literature.
- IT 202 Information Technology Applications (3 hours)
Additional Requirements (15 hours)
- COM 202 Communication for the Workplace (3 Hours)
- ENG 222 Survey of American Literature (3 Hours)
- ENG 223 Survey of English Literature (3 hours)
- Any foreign language or approved courses (6 hours)
Biblical/Theological Foundation (18 hours)
Major (36 hours)
Select 33 hours of English (ENG) courses.
- ENG 224 Survey of Christian Literature (3 hours)
- ENG 305 Poetry: Theory and Practice (3 hours)
- ENG 308 Colonial American Literature (3 hours)
- ENG 310 American Prose Writers: World War I - Present (3 hours)
- ENG 315 Creative Fiction (3 hours)
- ENG 320 Advanced Grammar (3 hours)
- ENG 325 British and American Literature: 1660-1800 (3 hours)
- ENG 330 Nineteenth-century American Literature (3 hours)
- ENG 335 African-American Literature (3 hours)
- ENG 405 History of the English Language (3 hours)
- ENG 410 Advanced Composition: Theory and Practice (3 hours)
- ENG 415 Shakespeare I: Histories and Comedies (3 hours)
- ENG 416 Shakespeare II: Tragedies and Romances (3 hours)
- ENG 420 Ninteenth-century British Novels (3 hours)
- ENG 421 British Romantic Literature (3 hours)
- ENG 423 Twentieth-century British Literature (3 hours)
- ENG 425 Studies in the Short Story (3 hours)
- ENG 430 Creative Nonfiction: Writing About Spiritual Experiences (3 hours)
- ENG 435 Oxford Christian Writers (3 hours)
ENG 490 Senior Seminar (3 hours)
Electives (18 hours)
See the current college catalog for more information.