Click here to apply for this degree!
Teacher Education Information
Requirements for entrance into Teacher Education DivisionTo enroll in education courses of the Teacher Education (TEd) division of The Baptist College of Florida, all of the following requirements must be completed and submitted on a Teacher Education Application by February 15 or September 15 of the semester prior to entrance into education coursework:
- Earn 50 hours of college course work, including finishing the General Education Foundation and Biblical/Theological Foundation requirements.
- Obtain a cumulative GPA of 2.50 or better. Students who reach their 50th hour without a GPA of 2.50 may register for education courses with the permission of the Teacher Education (TEd) Admissions Committee and will be given one semester to improve their cumulative GPA to at least a 2.50. Those who do not earn a cumulative 2.50 after this additional semester will not be allowed to register for educational courses and will be advised to change their major.
- For Elementary Education Majors Only: Pass the General Knowledge Test (GKT) section of the Florida Teacher Certification Examination (FTCE). Students who have reached their 50th hour without passing the General Knowledge Test (GKT) section of the FTCE may register for education courses with the permission of the TEd Admissions Committee and will be given one semester to pass the required exam. Those who do not pass the GKT after this semester will not be allowed to continue to register for educational courses and will be advised to change their major.
TEACHER CERTIFICATION FLORIDA ADMINISTRATIVE CODE-Section 6E-2.04(10) (c)
The Baptist College of Florida has received full approval by the State of Florida Department of Education for the Elementary Education (Grades K-6)/ESOL Endorsement/Reading Endorsement program, for graduates from July 1, 2014-June 30, 2019. This automatically qualifies a graduate of the Elementary Education program at BCF for a Professional Florida Teaching Certificate from the State of Florida Department of Education.
For the programs of English Secondary Education, History/Social Studies Secondary Education, and Music Education, a degree from BCF in these programs does not automatically qualify the student for a Florida Professional Teaching Certificate. To obtain a Professional Teaching Certificate for one of these programs, a graduate must apply for a Florida Temporary Teaching Certificate, obtain a teaching position, and participate in the systemís new teacher program or alternative certification program. Those interested in obtaining a Florida teaching certificate should contact the Office of Teacher Certification, Department of Education, Tallahassee, Florida 32301.
Teacher Education Degree Graduation Requirements
To graduate from a Teacher Education major, students must:
- Satisfactorily complete all academic courses outlined in their program of study.
- Earn a cumulative GPA of 2.50 or better.
- Internship Placement Requirement: Only Teacher Education students who maintain a fully online course load for 2 out of 3 semesters prior to EDU 4090F Education Internship may request internship placement outside of 60 miles from Graceville, Florida on the Internship Packet. Students who maintain an on-campus residency for 2 of the 3 semesters prior to EDU 4090F Education Internship are required to complete Education Internship within 60 miles of BCF campus. Only special requests made in writing to the Teacher Education Division chair will be considered as exceptions. The Internship Packet is due either February 15 or September 15, prior to the semester internship.
- For Elementary Education Majors only: Pass the General Knowledge Test (GKT) for entrance into the program, pass the Professional Education Test (PET), and pass Subject Area Exam (SAE) in their subject area of the Florida Teacher Certification Examinations (FTCE) before enrolling in EDU 4090F. In order to be certified in the state of Florida at graduation, all three sections of the FTCE (GKT, PET, and K-6 Subject Area Examinations, or SAE) must be taken and passed, as well as EDU 4090F. Education Internship and RED 4005F. Reading Practicum must be completed and passed in a Florida public classroom. Students who live outside the state of Florida and seek Florida certification must also follow these guidelines.
- For Education Studies Majors and those who live outside the state of Florida: FTCE Exams are not required for the Education Studies degree; however, this degree does not lead to certification in the state of Florida. Education Studies Majors may choose to take and pass their state required standardized test(s) for teachers, if they do not want to be certified in the state of Florida. (If they wish to be certified in the state of Florida, students need to fulfill all of the requirements of the Elementary Education degree by the semester before Final Internship including passing all FTCE exams, maintaining a cumulative 2.50 GPA, completing a final internship in the state of Florida, etc.) All Teacher Candidates must take the standardized tests of either Florida or their state of residence in order to graduate. Passage of state required standardized tests in states other than Florida does not guarantee that a Teacher Candidate will be certified in that particular state.