Click here to apply for this degree!
Applies to the following education degrees:
- Bachelor of Arts in Education Studies
- Bachelor of Arts in Elementary Education
- Bachelor of Arts in English Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Arts in History and Social Studies Secondary Education
Requirements for entrance into Teacher Education
To enroll in education courses of the Teacher Education (TEd) division of The Baptist College of Florida, all of the following requirements must be completed:
- Earn 50 hours of college course work, including finishing the General Education Foundation and Biblical/Theological Foundation requirements.
- Obtain a cumulative GPA of 2.50 or better. Students who reach their 50th hour without a GPA of 2.50 may register for education courses with the permission of the Teacher Education (TEd) Admissions Committee and will be given one semester to improve their cumulative GPA to at least a 2.50. Those who do not earn a cumulative 2.50 after this additional semester will not be allowed to register for educational courses and will be advised to change their major.
- Pass the General Knowledge Test (GKT) section of the Florida Teacher Certification Examination (FTCE). Students who have reached their 50th hour without passing the General Knowledge Test (GKT) section of the FTCE may register for education courses with the permission of the TEd Admissions Committee and will be given one semester to pass the required exam. Those who do not pass the GKT after this semester will not be allowed to continue to register for educational courses and will be advised to change their major.
- Submit an Application to the TEd Admissions Committee which includes clear fingerprinting in Jackson County. (Distance site or online students will be fingerprinted in their home district.) NOTE: Applications are due the semester before students plan to take any education classes-February 15 for Fall entry and September 15 for Spring entry.
- Any student who has below a 3.0 average on any math course must take MA 231 immediately prior to taking the General Knowledge Test section of the FTCE. MA 231 is also required for any student who has taken but not passed the math portion of the General Knowledge Test (GKT) section of the FTCE.
- Interview and be approved by the TEd Admissions Committee.
TEACHER CERTIFICATION FLORIDA ADMINISTRATIVE CODE-Section 6E-2.04(10) (c)
The Baptist College of Florida has received full approval by the State of Florida Department of Education for the Elementary Education (Grades K-6)/ESOL Endorsement/Reading Endorsement program, for graduates from July 1, 2014-June 30, 2019. This automatically qualifies a graduate of the Elementary Education program at BCF for a Professional Florida Teaching Certificate from the State of Florida Department of Education.
For the programs of English Secondary Education, History/Social Studies Secondary Education, Music Education Choral, and Music Education Instrumental, a degree from BCF in these programs does not automatically qualify the student for a Florida Professional Teaching certificate. To obtain a Professional Teaching Certificate for one of these programs, a graduate must apply for a Florida Temporary Teaching Certificate, obtain a teaching position, and participate in the systemís new teacher program or alternative certification program. Those interested in obtaining a Florida teaching certificate should contact the Office of Teacher Certification, Department of Education, Tallahassee, Florida 32301.
Teacher Education Degree Graduation Requirements
To graduate from a Teacher Education major, students must:
- Satisfactorily complete all academic courses outlined in their program of study.
- Earn a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or better.
- For students who live within 60 miles of Graceville and all students in Florida-Pass the General Knowledge Test (GKT) for entrance into the program, pass the Professional Education Test (PET), and pass Subject Area Exam (SAE) in their subject area of the Florida Teacher Certification Examinations (FTCE) before enrolling in EDU 4090F. In order to be certified in the state of Florida at graduation, all three sections of the FTCE (GKT, PET, and particular Subject Area Examinations, or SAE) must be taken and passed, as well as EDU 4090. Education Internship and RED 4005. Reading Practicum must be completed and passed in a Florida classroom.
- For students who live more than 60 miles from Graceville and outside of Florida-All Teacher Candidates must take and pass the General Knowledge Test (GKT) of the Florida Teacher Certification Exam (FTCE) in order to enter the Teacher Education Division. However, Teacher Candidates whose residence is more than 60 miles from Graceville and outside of Florida may choose to take and pass their state required standardized test(s) for teachers, if they do not want to be certified in the state of Florida. All Teacher Candidates must take the standardized tests of either Florida or their state of residence in order to graduate. Passage of state required standardized tests in states other than Florida does not guarantee that a Teacher Candidate will be certified in that particular state.
See the current college catalog for more information.