Click here to apply for this degree!
Music Education Information
Requirements for entrance into Music Education Degree ProgramTo enroll in education courses of the Music and Worship or Teacher Education divisions of The Baptist College of Florida, all of the following requirements must be completed:
- Earn 50 hours of college course work, including finishing the English Composition, Literature, and Mathematics portion of the General Education Foundation.
- Obtain a cumulative GPA of 2.50 or better. Students who reach their 50th hour without a GPA of 2.50 may register for education courses with the permission of the Music Education coordinator and will be given one semester to improve their cumulative GPA to at least a 2.50. Those who do not earn a cumulative 2.50 after this additional semester will not be allowed to register for educational courses and will be advised to change their major.
- Pass the General Knowledge Test (GKT) section of the Florida Teacher Certification Examination (FTCE). Students who have reached their 50th hour without passing the General Knowledge Test (GKT) section of the FTCE may register for education courses with the permission of the Music Education coordinator and will be given one semester to pass the required exam. Those who do not pass the GKT after this semester will not be allowed to continue to register for educational courses and will be advised to change their major.
- Submit an application to the Music Education coordinator which includes clear fingerprinting in Jackson County. (Distance site or online students will be fingerprinted in their home district.) NOTE: Applications are due the semester before students plan to take any education classes - February 15 for Fall entry and September 15 for Spring entry.
- Interview and be approved by the Music Education coordinator.
Music Education Degree Graduation Requirements
To graduate from a Music Education major, students must:
- Satisfactorily complete all academic courses outlined in their program of study.
- Earn a cumulative GPA of 2.50 or better.
- For students who live within 60 miles of Graceville and all students in Florida - Pass the General Knowledge Test (GKT) for entrance into the program, pass the Professional Education Test (PET), and pass Subject Area Exam (SAE) in their subject area of the Florida Teacher Certification Examinations (FTCE) before enrolling in MUE 490. In order to be certified in the state of Florida at graduation, all three sections of the FTCE (GKT, PET, and particular Subject Area Examinations, or SAE) must be taken and passed, and MUE 490. Internship in Music Education must be completed and passed in a Florida public classroom.
- For students who live more than 60 miles from Graceville and outside of Florida - All Teacher Candidates must take and pass the General Knowledge Test (GKT) of the Florida Teacher Certification Exam (FTCE) in order to enroll in music education courses. However, Teacher Candidates whose residence is more than 60 miles from Graceville and outside of Florida may choose to take and pass their state required standardized test(s) for teachers, if they do not want to be certified in the state of Florida. All Teacher Candidates must take the standardized tests of either Florida or their state of residence in order to graduate. Passage of state required standardized tests in states other than Florida does not guarantee that a Teacher Candidate will be certified in that particular state.